How to Prevent Mold in Your Home
Maybe you’ve noticed it in the shower. Or maybe, while in bed at night, you caught a glimpse of it in the corners of your ceiling. Maybe you found it hiding in your paper towel holder. The where may vary, but one thing is for sure, mold and mildew are commonly found throughout the home.
While you can reverse the effects of mold after it’s been established, it can be costly and usually require professional help (and plenty of your precious time!). Which means the best course of action is prevention. Below are five ways you can help prevent the growth of mold and mildew in your home.
1. Be mindful of the AC: In the hot summer months, always be mindful to shut any windows and doors when running the AC. When humid air enters the home when your air conditioning is running, condensation can form on those same windows and doors, creating a cozy, comfortable environment for condensation and in turn, mold.
2. Do regular checkups: Sometimes, the best offense is a good defense. Making regular checks, both indoors and outdoors, will allow you to stop the spread of harmful mold before it spreads. Use an at-home kit, like the Mold Armor Mold Test Kit, to easily self-check what’s growing in your home.
3. Say no to standing water: Mold loves water. It’s a fact. Whether your HVAC is leaking, there was overflow from bathtub fun or excess water puddled in your laundry room after a marathon-day of laundry, be sure to clean up any excess water immediately.
4. Add a fan to the bathroom: As you know now, mold thrives in two areas, where there’s water and where there’s humidity. Nowhere in the house are these two things more prevalent than in the bathroom. Adding a fan to run during showers will help settle condensation and work to keep the temperature cool.
5. Invest in antimicrobial products: The best line of defense is investing in products with antimicrobial technology that protects against mold. These products, like anything that features Microban technology, are built to become inhospitable to microbes, meaning mold and mildew don’t ever have a chance to start growing. Plus, our protection works for the life of a product, so whether you’ve used it for 10 days or 10 years, you can rest easy knowing mold won’t have a chance to make way into your home.