10 Must-Have Cleaning Supplies for a Cleaner Home
Whether you’re a new homeowner ready to outfit your cleaning cabinet, or a busy family looking for the cleaning supplies that can handle any mess that comes your way, we’ve got one hardworking list for you! We know that a clean home is peace-of-mind, and these curated items don’t just do more to reverse stains and spills, or to stop bacteria, mold and mildew from taking over your space—they won’t break your budget.
1. An Eco-Friendly All-Purpose Cleaner: Today, the shelves are full of cleaners for super-specific tasks—so many choices, it can be overwhelming—not to mention create clutter in the cabinet. That’s why we love multi-tasking Dr. Bronner’s Pure Castile Liquid Soap: it’s a dish soap, floor cleaner, body wash, dog shampoo—you name it!
2. Rubbermaid 4-Piece Sinkware Set: This practical and long-lasting sinkware set will tame the pile of dirty dishes, keep your sink organized and—our favorite feature, by far—continuously fight the growth of stain and odor-causing bacteria that love to hang out in even the most beautiful kitchens.
3. Microfiber Cloths, Towels: Having these around is always helpful—from the kitchen to the kid’s room to the carport—and because they can clean a surface with little to no water, are a dust and allergen magnet, and don’t scratch appliance or furniture surfaces, they make cleaning a breeze (so we can get back to binging FRIENDS). If you do opt for the traditional sponge, make sure it’s two-sided—scrub and scour—like these with built-in antimicrobial benefits.
4. Mr. Clean Magic Eraser: This is the Jedi knight of your cleaning supply arsenal, and perfect for the little messes in-between bigger cleanings. Scuff marks on the wall? Dirt smudges on the sideboards? Unidentified splotch on the floor? The Magic Eraser’s micro-scrubbers make short—well, magic—work of them with just water.
5. Sponge Mop: Gone are the days of big messy mops and massive rolling buckets. If you have hardwood or tiled floors in your home, the sponge mop is a simple staple. We like this durable one from Quickie for its storable size, easy-to-use swivel action, fast-drying and high-absorbance foam. And when you’re ready to deep clean this hardworking mop, check out this tutorial.
6. Versatile Vacuum: Is it wrong to love a vacuum? When you find one that works well for your family, you’ll want to sing its praises! A key player in a cleaner home, especially when you have beautiful Phenix Flooring carpet to protect, we look for vacuums that do double, even triple duty: detachable tools (like crevice and brushes) go from couch corners to the car; and a hypoallergenic (or HEPA) model will help the family breathe easier, too.
7. A Spray Bottle + Some Pantry Staples: Want to create your own cleaning solutions? It’s so easy! All you need is a solid spray bottle and a few ingredients, like baking soda, white vinegar, rubbing alcohol, ammonia and lemons (or lemon juice). What’s great is that, unlike the labels of most store-bought solutions, you know exactly what’s in your DIY cleaners—and can even save money. Check out our DIY Grout Cleaner and DIY Window Cleaner.
8. Reusable Latex or Rubber Gloves: Nothing sets the mood to knock out a few chores than putting on your favorite album, turning up the volume and pulling on a pair of these tough gloves. Keep your hands soft and protected from harsh cleaning agents with these affordable and reusable gloves from Quickie.
9. A Sturdy Bucket: A nice-sized bucket, like those made by Luxury Bath Technologies, is your cleaning workhorse: store your cleaning supplies for easy carrying, use it for mopping and a multitude of other household tasks.
10. Odor-Resistant Pet Supplies: As much as we love them, our fluffy friends do make the house harder to keep clean. That’s why we love the durable and affordable basics from Petmate—like these litter pans that resist the growth of odor-causing bacteria—which keep kitty’s space cleaner, longer.